Thursday, October 05, 2006

Socktoberfest


I am arriving late at the party, although I did rsvp early.

These socks were knit using craftoholic's Mata Hari sock pattern (since the pattern isn't available just now, I'm not going to link to her site). I think I knit them too big, should have used an inch fewer stitches. I did add an extra repeat, thinking I needed it. The yarn is Trekking XXL and superwash; can't count on slight felting to get a better fit. I love the pattern and will use it again.

What follows is a short history of my sock knitting, getting into the spirit of Socktoberfest.

I knit my first pair of socks about 10 years ago and am self-taught.

That first pair of socks were for my husband. I used the basic sock pattern from Knitting Without Tears, and a worsted weight yarn, which produced a very sturdy sock. Their intended recipient refused to wear them, claiming hot feet. I frogged those socks. I think a sock weight yarn would have been a better choice, since the socks weren't destined to be worn hunting, or any other place where wet feet might be a hazzard.

As to what sock yarns I've enjoyed, Koigu comes to mind, as does Knitpicks Sockgarden yarn, sadly discontinued. All of the socks I've knit so far have been on double points, top down. I'm hoping to knit at least one pair during Socktoberfest toe up, just for a challenge.

Preferred heel: so far I've used the heel flap on all of my socks.

Total number of pairs: eight to date.

Sock knitting idiosyncracies: When I turn a heel, I have to do it all in one sitting. The same goes for grafting the toes.

Sock knitting fantasy: that I will knit at least 2 pairs of socks this month, with enough time left over to begin Eunny Jang's Bayerische Socks.

1 comment:

Carrie K said...

Oooh, I like that sock fantasy.

I really want to try short row heels and knit-two-at-the-same time but who knows when I'll actually try any of them.