Friday, August 25, 2006

What I said I would read this summer vs. What I acutally read.

Summer reading:

Planned:

Digging to America by Ann Tyler
I did read this. Think I liked her An Amateur Marriage more.

My Life In France by Julia Child.
Checked it out from the library but didn't finish within the two weeks I had. I'll try again.

Susannah's Garden by Debbie Macomber. I prefer her Shop on Blossom Street series. Didn't finish this and have no plans to.

Dark Tort by Diane Mott Davidson. Amateur detective who is a caterer. Recipes included but I haven't tried any of them. Not sure I like her writing style.

Assasination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. Half finished with this. Like her style and her work on This American Life.

Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Diaz Zafon. Local bookgroup choice. Well written, tense, worth re-reading.

The following were on my to be read (or to be finished list) and weren't finished:

The Color of Law, The Hamilton Case, Doing Nothing, Invisible Man, and The History of Love (this last I did read last summer and planned to reread because I really liked it. After some arm twisting, my local bookgroup plans to read it in January, so I'll wait.)

What I read that wasn't on my list:

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Local bookgroup selection. I didn't expect much from this book, thought it would be a potboiler, but it exceeded my expectations. I still think Never Let Me Go is a stronger, more gut-wrenching work.

Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich. What can I say; I like her Stephanie Plum series. The books are witty, sexy, just fun to read.

Cross Country by Robert Sullivan. One man's description of one of his cross country trips from Portland to NYC with a lot of trivia thrown in. Another enjoyable read. He also wrote Rats which I'm now thinking about reading.

The Lighthouse by P.D. James. We listened to this as we travelled. Good listening.

Various bookgroup choices: Wuthering Heights, No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, The Mermaid's Chair.

That is it; an honest rendering of my plans and my shortfalls.

1 comment:

Carrie K said...

I caught Robert Sullivan on Book TV talking about his book Rats - it's the only time EVER they sounded interesting. He has a nice breezy manner.

Nice mix of books you read this summer.